1. The World Customs Organization (WCO) amendments to the Harmonized System (HS) nomenclature will enter into force on January 1, 2022 (HS 2022). Canada, like other contracting parties to the International Convention on the Harmonized System Commodity Description and Coding System (the Convention), has made consequential adjustments to the Customs Tariff schedule that will come into force concurrently with HS 2022, effective January 1, 2022.
2. On August 12, 2021, Order SOR/2021-198 was issued by the Governor in Council.
3. To facilitate planning and implementation of the new Customs Tariff schedule, two items are currently available on the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) website:
- a. A concordance table at the 8-digit level prepared by Finance Canada and at the 10-digit level prepared by Statistics Canada.
- b. An Access file containing the updated Customs Tariff schedule (for planning purposes).
4. The PDF and HTML files of the Customs Tariff will be posted at a later date. A new Customs Notice will be published to advise when the full Customs Tariff is posted.
5. The new HS2022 Customs Tariff schedule will take effect on January 1, 2022. All changes will be active in the Customs Commercial System (CCS) at that time.
6. For more information, call the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):
Calls within Canada & the United States (toll free): 1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada & the United States (long distance charges apply):
1-204-983-3550 or 1-506-636-5064
Contact Us at the CBSA website may also be accessed for information.